Thursday, June 14, 2012

Why the new shoes?



What you see above is a brand new pair of running shoes! As of late, I have been a jogging fool. Every other day, I take Jase to daycare and head out to Cane Creek Park to run the 1.87 mile trail. My goal?? To be able to run that entire trail (in about 20 minutes) plus another mile and a half!

I started walking the 2nd week of March after I found myself with a lot of spare time on my hands. To occupy my time I asked my hubby (who asked not to be mentioned in this blog :)) if he wanted to start walking with me in the mornings. Of course, who could resist spending time with me? He said sure!!

Slowly but surely, I felt the rise up in my heart to start jogging. I have always had that desire suppressed somewhere deep inside and I am not really sure where it derived from. I know that in my mind's eye I have always wanted to say "I just ran a 5k" but the negative self-talk kicked in and my true self was decieved into believing that I wasn't able! Well, the muzzle has been put on that girl and I am free!! Anyway, I just joked a bit with hubby about jogging and he was all for it.

The first day was D.E.A.T.H. I didn't get very far. He said not even 1/4 of a mile...oh well! Day after day I finally made my goal "The Bridge" which was almost 1/4 of a mile! Oh the feeling!!! I couldn't be stopped after that. Well, I could but let's pretend.

I couldn't shake that desire to run! I would see runners on the trail and think "Michelle, he is at least 60 yrs old..come on", or "Check out her butt, it's because she runs". I started begging Jason oops! the hubby to take me to Dunham's (the local sports store) so I could look at all the running gear! I LOVE UnderArmour (can't afford it but love it just the same).

After much alone time with God, I decided it was time! Time to believe in myself. Time to step up and conquer this! Time to live this dream! TIME.TO.RUN.

So about 7 weeks ago I signed up for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and I am psyched...ready to run! I figure if I am committed to something I have to train right? Some other ladies that I am friends with signed up too. I downloaded the C25K app on my phone and have been hard at it. I wish I could say that I am killin' it but I am not. There are several days that I don't even wanna get out of bed let alone go get sweaty, stinky, discouraged, out of breathe and frustrated by my lack of breathing ability but I do it anyway and I.LOVE.IT.

I get such a rush of accomplishment. I get the satisfaction that most of the time I was the master of my body. I get the high that noone can explain unless they have actually jogged/ran before. I.LOVE.IT.

I have decided I will use this space to blog some of my concerns. Some of my fears. Some of my victories! If you come across this blog, send me some encouragement!

Trust me! I need it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment